At Horizons Montessori & School we ensure that every one can live and work in harmony. We have a set of classroom rules that are easily understood and followed gently but consistently enforced. We want children to grow up into people who are able to lead productive lives, solve conflicts and protect the environment.
At Horizons Montessori & School teaching materials are divided into areas of learning. They are carefully designed to each skills and concepts by way of graded activities that logically build and follow on from each other. Learning activities also make use of all the children senses, recognizing that all children learn through different channels. Activities are presented as self contained units, with all materials needed gathered together and easily accessible by the child. As teachers we can actively help all children to become interested in, develop and work in all areas of learning- even if that means that we have to design and make special activity just for one child.
Children can choose to work by themselves, with a friend or in small groups. Most importantly, all learning is hands-on, so if you ask a child who taught them a particular skill, they are most likely to answer that they learnt it by themselves.
At Horizons Montessori & School we respect each child’s individual needs. We work together with families to help build a sound foundation for child’s future. Since play prepares children for academic learning our play based learning environment helps children develop:
- Confidence and self-esteem
- A positive attitude towards learning
- Literacy, ,math and science concepts
- Language and reasoning skills
- Problem solving and imagination skills
- Essential social skills
- Taking turns, making choices and empathy
Educational AIMS OF HMS
We believe that all members of the school should be equally valued when we teach respect for all. We make every effort to cater for individual differences (in attitude, in personality, in range and mastery of skills, in conceptual development) and provide appropriate opportunity for development. The continually strive to raise achievement in its broadest sense and to give each student every opportunity to realize their full potential and prepare them for the world beyond schools
The aims of the schools are;
- To provide a place of education in which each student will participate in a wide range of learning opportunities designed to develop the basic skills, knowledge and understanding required by the modern society.
- To ensure that each student has an awareness of possibilities available to him/her within society
- To develop an atmosphere within which will flourish self discipline, responsibility to, and awareness of the needs of the others in the School and society in general
- To show appropriate and proper concern for the demands and expectations of the students, parents and society in general, and to implement the best contemporary education practice.
- To maintain effective communication with parents concerning the progress of individual student and school life in general.
- To provide a secure and happy environment within which staff and students can work together to achieve their aims.